Monday, March 18

Those Who Are Waiting

The other night while looking for a movie to rent off of Amazon, one of the choices that popped up was "Somewhere Between."  I had known about the movie since Catherine talked about it on her blog.  I had signed up to get updates from the movie as well.  When it came to Ama.zon, I didn't want to shell out 25 dollars to watch a movie I didn't even know if I'd want to watch more than once.  Sadly, it didn't occur to me, or maybe when I first checked it wasn't an option, to rent it from them.  So, when I saw it there on the TV screen, I told mom that's the movie we were watching.

From their website, here is a description of the movie:
"SOMEWHERE BETWEEN tells the intimate stories of four teenaged girls. They live in different parts of the US, in different kinds of families and are united by one thing: all four were adopted from Ch.ina, because all four had birth parents who could not keep them, due to personal circumstances colliding with Chi.na's 'One Ch.ild Policy'. These strong young women allow us to grasp what it is like to come-of-age in today's America as trans-racial adoptees. At the same time, we see them as typical American teenagers doing what teenagers everywhere do...struggling to make sense of their lives. Through these young women, and their explorations of who they are, we ourselves pause to consider who we are-both as individuals and as a nation of immigrants. Identity, racism, and gender...these far-reaching issues are explored in the documentary. And with great honesty and courage, these four girls open their hearts to experience love, compassion, and self-acceptance. What's it like to grow up as a minority today - and what is it like when your family is part of the majority? How does the changing face of the North American family affect us all? How do we fulfill our own destinies? Four determined teenaged girls help us find those answers in SOMEWHERE BETWEEN."

I am glad that I rented it and that we got to watch it.  I felt a flood of thoughts and emotions come bubbling to the surface.  How much I still want to adopt, and yet how hard and far away it all feels.  It lead me back to the yahoo group to see if I couldn't find "Lauren" again amongst the pictures.  I had looked for her most recently in January, but never did find her picture.  Saturday night however I found her in the "Matched" album, and remember feeling happy for her and her new family.  That God had created yet another family.

Of course it also pulls at you, or me ;), to look at some more little ones.  I found this new sweet one that pulls at my heart strings.  That I will be praying for a loving family (whether it's a mom/dad family with six kiddos at home or a single woman hoping to her mommy) to be led to her and bring her into their hearts and home.  She is currently listed with BAAS and her "name" they have listed her as is Wren.

Holy Buckets, she is a cutie!!  Here is a link that you can go to see pictures of her (on an advocate's blog).  They have a link to a video that you can watch of her.  Too cute for words.  I don't know what it is about her specifically, but she reminds me of Moo.  And that "quality" is most likely the culprit of the pulling of the heart strings.  It's crazy to think, but she's only about 5 months younger than Sue.  Maybe it's that "tiny" of her that reminds me of Moo too.    What a doll!

1 comment :

  1. Wren is beyond adorable!!!

    Where are you in your journey friend?

    So glad you were able to watch 'Somewhere Between' and even more special that you could watch it with your mom!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say!