Monday, May 12

End of the Month-April 2014

Oops!  A little late, but I wanted to make sure I got this up.  If just for me :)  Let's see how the month of April went, goal wise.

Reading the Old Testament:  As you may remember, it was my goal in April to read the Bible at last 10 minutes a day.  I will be honest with you.  There were a few days intspersed throughout the month in which I didn't crack open the Good Book.  However, I did make up the time I missed out on during the next reading.  So while I did not read every day, I did ensure I read at least (I didn't keep track past the ten minute mark) 300 minutes of the Bible in April.  Which is a nice 5 hour chunk.  Sounds like a lot if I were to do it at once, but really wasn't hard/bad at all when I was doing the smaller bites.

Now I'll tell you I really enjoyed reading from the Bible those lessons I learned (and eventually taught) in Sunday School, Midweek, and VBS.  Though I don't enjoy when there's like a page that lists this person was this other person's father, and then they had these two kids with this woman, and the other woman had this son.  That part I just let Him know I'm not going to read it, skim it, but not read it.

I made it to Exodus 19:11.  I'm not sure that I will be able to make it through the Old Testament before the year ends, but I am glad that I'm doing it the way I am for myself and enjoying it :)

For  May: To finish the book of Exodus.

Getting back to Church:   Nope.

For  May:  Come on woman!

Read a book a month: I bought the book from her website.  The night I got it, I read it. It was a pretty quick read.  Probably helps if you're hungry for the information as well :)  What is it? Why it's Julie Gumm's Adopt Without Debt .  Holy Buckets!  I just checked her site, and the book is out of print.  There are no more books to be sold.  The link I have is for Amazon, where you can get it used for like 100+ dollars.  (Well there's one way to help fund your adoption that wasn't in her book ;) )I guess I got one of the last ones from her inventory.  She even signed mine :)

Julie talks about how her family had gotten out of debt.  Then they were called to adopt.  She was willing to go into debt for adoption.  After all, is there a better reason?  Then they were reminded that God doesn't like debt, so why would He put you in it for something that He called you to?  She gives examples of things either her family or other families had done in order to complete an (international) adoption (or two) without also adding (more) debt to the family.

There are things that you could do in your own life to tighten the purse strings even more and add that saved money to pay for fees associated with adopting.  There are grants out there that can be applied for, some even matching grants.  And of course the fundraisers, from a paypal button on your blog to a Karaoke night, and so many more ideas in between.

*On a side-note.  I've been reading blogs and adoption sites for long enough now to know that there are varied responses to a family fundraising to pay the fees for adoption.  For some people, it's a way to help an orphan.  Not everyone is called to adopt, but everyone is called to care for them (James 1:27.)  From a simple prayer, to financial support-either of an adopting family or a non-profit that aides in the care of oprhans, to foster care/adoption.  Other people view it as if you want to raise this child and bring them into your family than you should be able to afford the costs.  Otherwise you shouldn't parent.  I can get this.  However, some families are able to take care of their children on daily basis, they just don't have 35,000 dollars hanging out to afford the costs of adoption that come due in a relatively short time.

I did read a blog recently (I've really been binge-reading china adoption blogs, so I can't recall which one) where the mom talked about how she felt about fundraising.  What the whole thing boiled down to (since I've gone on waaaaaaaaaaay long here) was that you don't have to shove it down people's throats, but you should allow people the chance to donate to you/your child/the adoption, especially if it is the way that they want to help the orphan, and/or show you and your future child their support and love.
Side-note over*

For  May:  I will (finish) reading Kisses from Katie.

Journaling at least once a week:  Not every day, but most days.

For  May:  To write one sentence a day. If I don't blog that day, then I want to have something journaled.  Just think one day I'll find out some important dates for my precious little girl.  I would like to be able to go back and see what I was doing/thinking that very day in my life. (I've seen some bloggers be able to do this very thing, and think it's so cool.)

Finish my quilt (work on other sewing projects): I did not get any done.  And I'm fine with that.

For  May:  Since I'm working on a birthday project for my youngest Goddaughter, I'm not committing to doing anything for the quilt/sewing projects.

Hall Closet (scrapbooking/crafts):  Not a priority.

For  May:  Not a priority.

Try a new recipe and food item a pay period: When I'm making them/eating them/buying them this month, I thought about it, but never wrote it down.  While I know I did complete this goal, since I can't remember what they were. . .oh wait.  I remember one recipe I tried.  It was Crockpot Asian Sesame Chicken.  It was pretty good.  Though I think I would put the chicken in frozen for the three hours, since they seemed to be pretty dry when I had got to them before putting on the "sauce" component.  I also made some jasmine wild rice in my rice cooker to go along with it.  I had never (to my knowledge) tried that before.

For  May:  Again try one more new recipe and food item for the month.

Being active daily: Nopers.

For  May:  Need to start with just stretching--think I can handle that?  Wait, don't answer that ;)

Eating less processed foods/Eating more organic, whole foods:  Ummmmm. . .yeah, no.

For  May:  I'm really just trying to figure out how to make a $50/paycheck food budget work.  Any ideas?

Lose 10% of weight:  I managed to keep off the five, but lost no more.

For  May:  Maintain the 5 pounds.

Grow a veggie/fruit plant: Yeah, I'm really sure that should be now.  I need to get on it!

For  May:  Now I need to choose the type of plant and get it.

Circle + Bloom's mind-body program:  Wasn't a priority, and I didn't do it.

For  May:  Not a priority, unless I'm feeling it.

Come up with a nightly ritual:  It's not written down and it's not in practice, but I've got one floating around in that space between my ears.

For  May:  I'll be happy if I've got it all implemented (not even like it's some complex routine, but little bits at a time of goals at a time) by July.

Monthly Challenge:  Done!  You can read about it up in the "Reading the Bible" portion of this post.

For  May:  I'm taking a break this month from a challenge.  I know I'll be ready for one again come June.  (I cannot even believe it is so close!)

Staying open on how becoming a mommy:  Staying open really helped me to get where I'm at with my decision.  And it feels so good and right.  I'm going to go ahead and delete this "goal" now.  It did it's job well :)

Here's to having May's review up before almost half-way through June ;)  Here's to working on goals and commitments!

2 comments :

  1. If you want any seeds for said plants let me know! I have a ton (non-Mansanto, half of them are heirloom) and would love to share :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be awesome!!! I'd love that :) If you don't mind you can go ahead and e-mail me--it's the little pink envelope icon on the topr right--under my about me :) I'll be on the look out!

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you have to say!